Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ready... Or Not?

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to weather warnings.  I grew up in a county that closed school before any snowflakes actually arrived.  And most of the time, those snowflakes never came.  If you jaunted to the store, the sections where milk and bread had once resided were swept clear.  Snow shovels and sledding gear all sold out in two hours of the first snow-storm warning.  

I admit I'm a bit resentful.  Mostly, all my sledding happened on green grass in our back yard.  It thawed my enthusiasm (pun fully intended).

Now we've got all sorts of warnings about Hurricane Sandy heading our way.  Given my background, I'm still a little skeptical about any major winds and damage.  I snort derisively when the newscasters blather on and on about death/doom/destruction/billion-dollar-damage.

This is the perfect storm.  Augh!  Run and hide!

Actually, they might have a point.  Well, not much of one, but I can concede them a little ground.  Even if the storm doesn't cause much damage, wouldn't it be better to be prepared?  

I played this question over in my mind as my husband pulled out the flashlights and checked the batteries, set out the candles, filled the bathtub and put aside drinking water.  As tempted as I was to laugh it off, I realized he's a pretty wise guy to prepare for the worst while still hoping for the best.

In the long run, I guess it's better, as Jesus said, to be like the wise man who built his house on a rock.  When the storms came, they blew and beat on that that house and it stood firm.  Or, like in the song I sing with my kids, the foolish man built his house upon the sand and the rain came tumbling down.  The floods came up, and the house on the sand fell flat. *Smack! with our hands - which, admittedly, is my favorite part of the song.*

So easy to apply this to the big scary storm supposedly heading in our direction.  Throw a little extra water around, toss a few extra candles on the table.  A lot less easy to apply to other issues.  Shallow friendships?  Do we spend time investing in people?  Or just pass them with a nod and a smile?  Financially unsettled?  Have we spent lavishly without thought for tomorrow?  Marital difficulties?  Have we missed out on communicating with each other until there is no foundation left to continue with?  

Isaiah 28:16 says:  

So this is what the Sovereign Lord says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone,
    a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who relies on it
    will never be stricken with panic.

Good words of advice.  Hurricane Sandy, or any other storm heading my way, try what you like.  I've got a pretty good foundation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment